23 March 2009

Yes, last week was busy, thank you for inquiring

Coffee, Energy Drinks and Insomnia is no way to go through a week.

From the Outlook calendar on my office workstation:
March 16-20, CDI SENTENEL Incident Response and Handling (Austin)
Conflicts with another appointment with your Calendar
March 19 and 21, First/Second NCAA Men's Tournament (Greensboro)
Conflicts with another appointment with your Calendar
March 13-22, SXSW [South By Southwest] (Austin)
Conflicts with another appointment with your Calendar
March 17, St Patrick's Day
Conflicts with another appointment with your Calendar
March 18 - 10:00, Weekly Team Meeting
Yeah, doubt you are going to make it according to your Calendar

I have to say, this was a pretty insane week as far as slated events were concerned. The top listing was the most beneficial as far as knowledge and profession, but why in the world would anyone schedule an event in Austin at the same time as the second or third event? I was asking myself that question daily while dodging goofy kids wearing flannel and stocking caps in 86-degree heat. The general consensus was: "what do you expect, it was run by the government." Sad days when the "government" gets dumped on for offering free education.

Admittedly, I was not looking forward to the Tournament as a 'Horns fan. When a point guard doesn't emerge until the fourth quarter of the season and the stars of the team have issues of fortitude the whole season, you don't want to pay too much attention. However, when they were Feeling Minnesota in the first round shellacking, hope was there for the showdown versus Duke. But then, like a Dungeons and Dragons gamer on prom night, there is still disappointment. Thankfully, my emotional attachment, according to my Outlook calendar, was partial at best.

SXFSW: I will only add this one note to the well-chronicled insanity that is the all-around sensory overload - when leaving town with good memories, catching up with good friends and family, and with eight loaves of Whole Foods challah, The Lovely and I were working up eastbound on 5th Street approaching Lavaca Street. Nearing the legendary Antone's, I noticed a 1980's body-style white Chevy pickup. The tailgate said in all in bold, black letters: "DON'T MOVE HERE". Ah, the double-edge sword of tourist revenue and population boom. Can't pick and choose anymore, Live Music Capital of the World.

I am sore about St. Patty's, though. Staying up until three in the morning the day before does not count as celebrating. I was worn down from my first two days that I just watched a rerun of the Daily Show and called it a night. For someone one-sixteenth Irish, that is no way to celebrate my partial heritage. There was an absence of thematic hats and green food coloring. I could plug in that I am getting old, but that is an excuse old people use. Funny sidebar though, Emma was born. Big ups to Josh and Amy.

So, I missed the Weekly. Damn.

All in all, it was a productive week. I even had time to recover The Lovely after my coursework to have some Big A fun
("A" as in Austin, you bunch of savages). And we did. I would like to give a fond bon voyage to The Gingerman, known as Gingerman Classic for this week's purposes. My old 4th Street hideout is now relocating to a cold and metal hole down Lavaca Street, about 50 meters from the old location.

I'm not really sure if I am complaining or gloating...

Lessons Learned - My Three Things:
1) No matter what, always ask for the money up front first!
2) If a door knob is functioning, when disassembled, it should separate in all it's different components. When the doorknob, or door-opening system, is malfunctioning, you just might have to stab the door with a screwdriver and needle-nose pliers until the cipher completely dies.
3) Spook Central is a fun place to work. Hell, it's a fun place just to keep track of. With Conflicker C in the wild, ISC breaking down the Green status and jackasses still using P2P, it makes me want to put on the track shoes and run a 7-minute mile to meet the challenge.

Mad love and shouts to Ra-Rach and B-boy for hooking up the couch-surfing provisions, El Grande (sans The Munchkin and Dollface), SKM, Garth the Sherpa (got to tell me about that mountain range), Safari Jon and the cold-blooded killers at the HHS mafia, Don Michael and that dude that called me a "badass" when I was jaywalking Lavaca in a black suit. That is merely a portion of why I love Austin so much. Talk later.

No comments:

Post a Comment