21 April 2010

The NFL Draft and other complete wastes of time and efforts.

Colt is getting some looks from some teams...hopefully not from this angle.

Oh, the draft...how a humble phone call from an owner and a commissioner of a pro sports enterprise has completely and unequivocally exploded into it's own monstrosity. Three full days of this stuff. Sometimes I ask how something so trivial in the past now gets the super-special treatment. Then I answer my own question...

It's merely a reflection of the cultural shift. It happened in Rome so it might as well happen within the American Empire. Start with the colony, build militarily, defend swiftly, have some internal conflict, grow from said conflict, have industry bloom, have technology flourish, brag about your roads and frontier territories, have a couple more nationalistic wars and then you have professional sports. That's how Rome got their coliseum and that's how we got professional sports (with coliseums in every major metropolitan area, not counting Foxbrough).

But football fans, both college and pro, enjoy this silly exercise. It's crazy that even the most casual of fans go back and forth with arguments, pontifications and soothsaying with athletes that beat up on the 107th defense for three to four years. Now it gets more ridiculous at Radio City Music Hall.

My quick hits (Ha! I am so pun-ny!):
  • It starts with the Super Bowl and now it continues with the Draft. What the hell is up with the red carpet garbage? It's the draft, not Plush. It's bad enough these players haven't made a football dime and they have a suit ensemble more expensive than my truck.
  • Three months ago, the 1-2 was Suh and G. McCoy. Now it's a broken quarterback that couldn't finish the Texas/OU game because he doesn't know how NOT to land on his throwing shoulder. Obviously, Bradford has never wrestled with his dad in the living room. Got to learn how to fall or Sam will be a bust.
  • Why don't teams go for their most important need as opposed to try to fit in the best available? That never makes sense to me. Why am I going to by a Mercedes when I don't have a roof over my head? Why buy the steak if I can't afford ramen noodles.
  • There is a reason why the first teams in the draft are where they are. Bad offensive line and bad front seven. One draft pick is not going to do it. I'm starting to buy the whole Colin Cowherd Top-down approach for sport franchise success. If your management stinks, there is no hope, no matter how many draft picks you have.
  • Just to be honest, if I was any of these talented athletes, I would be a little bummed if I was shipped to Detroit, Cleveland, Oakland or Buffalo. C'mon, I don't want to play football in a football wasteland. It's difficult for me to filter out the bullshit from the genuine sentiment. At least the Oakland weather isn't THAT miserable.
  • It's a damn shame that we can't have Todd McShay versus Mel Kiper all year long. I know it's not meant to be hilarious, but it is.
  • Yeah, sure, I like to keep track of the Longhorns. But then it I get distracted and pay attention to the Cowboys and Patriots all over again. Thus, my attention span is torpedoed. So much easier to focus just on college football than to bounce around nine-eleven teams in the league.
This is seriously the most useless exercise in the creation of Western civilization. All of these predictions and wild guesses mean absolutely nothing. These men haven't played a down. Yet there is so much stock and time burned with analysis that may or may not translate. We don't do with with the NBA (unless we are paying attention to the Draft Lottery...embedded hilarity). We don't do this with baseball (because we have a hard enough time keeping up with 378 games...or something like that). We definitely don't do this with hockey (some 17 year-old Canadian went somewhere...okay). Who knows if any of these men will work out, especially with millions of dollars and on the good side of their twenties.

Lessons Learned, my three things.
1) Seriously, this night shift is really messing with me. I have had the worst running times in my life with strange sleeping and eating patterns. I would be lucky to go sub 9/mile.
2) I can waste my money of plenty of things, but it will not be a 3D HDTV.
3) Beer in growlers are only good for 48 hours. I wish they would have told me that at NXNW a month ago.

Okay, I need to waste more time tweeting about the 239th pick. Talk later.

No comments:

Post a Comment