07 January 2009

Thirty...I'm turning into my mother

So I've officially been thirty for one month, twelve days. I do not know what to make of it just yet. Before I turned twenty, I made a list of goals I wanted to accomplish by the time I turned thirty. Big and small. Thirty. It seemed like a distant age at the time. But, time flew by and before I could even catch my breath, I was thirty. Though, I was able to achieve most of the things on my 'twenties' list, one in particular, run my first marathon, has been placed on my "to be continued" list.

I know I'm changing as a person. When in my early twenties, I seemed to be just a little more outgoing and daring. Just after I finished college, I briefly contemplated the typical things most twenty-somethings do such as going sky diving (never did), getting my belly button pierced (also never happened), and perhaps getting a small tattoo (too permanent, so never happened). In retrospect, I am glad I never did any of those things. However, that freedom I felt in my twenties, seems to be dissipating. Part of me feels incredibly nostalgic and a little sad when I reflect on this time in my life when I felt like anything was possible and my whole future was ahead of me. Now I find myself turning into this ultra-conservative, (though, not from a political standpoint...fu Ann Coulter and your books! (aka forget you ;)) risk-averse person that is a stranger to the girl I seemed to be, or wanted to be, in my twenties! Oh my gosh, I'm turning into my mother!! That's not a bad thing. Though, it's certainly not something I would have admitted in my early twenties. My mom and I have always had the best relationship. I just never thought the day would come that I would actually admit that we are a lot alike.

What my thirties hold for me, I have yet to find out. I know I'll make another list of things to do (actually, I have a first draft in 'My Documents') and read the next Emily Giffin. But for now, I'm content with letting each day takes it’s course. However, I will propose this. Should thirty turn out to be a downer, I'll take a cue from 'Benjamin Button', and celebrate twenty-nine once again. Just kidding!!

Happy New Year Everyone!















No comments:

Post a Comment