04 May 2009

Earning My Keep: My Second Blog

My mother claims that I was "cautious as a child." O.K. That makes sense. She says my brother..."was not." O.K. That makes sense, too. Neither is inherently good or bad. It just is.

Fast forward: This weekend while hanging out with my newest, latest, and just-as-great nephew, we were all kickin' back watching several DVR'd episodes of Nitro Circus. For those of you unfamiliar and not interested in clicking on the above link, no problem: It is basically like MTV's Jackass, but with professional extreme sports athletes...but still with all the same death-defying, off-the-wall stunts and antics. I was both mesmerized and scared. I suppose this is good marketing??? If you don't know Jackass...well just click on the link...

It is fair to say that these guys are cheating death in each episode. I don't care how well-trained they are in whatever their designated specialty, the point of these shows is see these folks test themselves and out-do themselves with each and every episode. Again, this could never be me...but then again, that is not the point. I can appreciate the risk-taking and appreciate that some people are like my brother...and to acknowledge my mother's anectodal evidence, they are pretty much this way from birth.

OK, rewind now. Back to summer of 2000. My friend B-Haas' two college buddies from A&M-College Station were hanging out in Big Ben National Park, camping and enjoying life. Then Jared (one of the friends), in a split decision, jumps into the Rio Grande with a bar of soap. Two seconds later, Marty jumps in to save him. Yes, I said SAVE him. He was immediately paralyzed and unable to breathe.

Hospital stay and rehabilitation proved successful for Jared. He was able to breathe on his own in two-months time. It has been nine years since this "casual" jump, and he is currently still paralyzed.

NOTE: I said he is currently paralyed. Jared is an inspiration because Jared knows that he WILL WALK AGAIN. If you have seen or heard about The Secret, you will know what I'm talking about. Positive attraction. What you think about you bring about. Many people have cured themselves of cancer and other illnesses from this practice AND state of consciousness.

Jared and Marty have teamed up for a collaborative mixed media show at Bass Concert Hall in Austin. It is currently on view till June. Please, check out this show if you are in the Austin area.

You will be inspired.

If you can't make it, or if you would like a preview, please check out Jared's website and his show.

Till next time, stay safe and appreciate this moment. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment