31 May 2009

OPERATION: Homebody

As Austin and I show, house parties are fun (December 2008).

Why did it take me so long to figure this one out? Especially with all the humdrum of "the economy" and a reset of goals and wishes, I am glad I figured out this simple equation. Why the hell am I going out so much?

I have two vices that I am not going to get rid of: delicious adult beverages and social interaction with professionals. Unfortunately, these are costly vices. I giggle at the assumption that Corpus is so much cheaper than the rest of the world. A Stoli vodka martini up with extra olives is still going to be $10+ if it's worth it's metal tin that mixed the wonderful concoction. A decent bourbon is still going to have a 400% markup. That's just how bars work. Plus, the lunches with colleagues, friends, enemies and possible associations aren't inexpensive either. Besides, I have to get out of the office for a couple of minutes. Can someone please tell me why mass-produced, processed food horrible to any human system is far cheaper than something wholesome and well constructed? Like why renewable energy yields a more-expensive utility bill? Very frustrating.

Since the hierarchy of needs is all covered, we go for the top of the pyramid. It is a simple equation here. I want (variable A). To get (item A), I must perform (action 1), (action 2) and (action 3). For example, to get ice cream, I must punch a hobo, translate 14 latin phrases and ask The Lovely very nicely the next time she goes to the grocers. So, to save some money I must not go out to lunch every day, not go out to overpriced bars (which is all of them) and basically kick it at home more often.

The mathmatics are stunning. Eight dollars plus tip every lunch. Twenty bucks per tab on a good night. Forty bucks on a bad night. Eighty bucks on a terrible night. It's maddening how someone my age is finally figuring it out. But apparently, the Gen Xers received plenty of sex ed but very little finance 101. But that's no excuse. I have enough disipline to go to yoga and run after work. But when it comes to vices, it is a bit more difficult.

It has been a so-so start to this operation. I fell on my face with the post-run drink, because all of us know that beer refreshes the body better than water. Of course, it's mitigated because happy hour drink specials are cheaper (?). Idiot. Plus, it's tough to not go out when all the organizations I am a part of hold happy hours and mixers. However, this weekend was a good rebound. An $11 bottle of Pinot Grigio and an awesome back yard at a fun house party covered that base. Operation: Homebody also counts when you use other houses. Chammer and Super Lakers Fan were pretty big fans, also on a historical level.

So, I ask my seven readers to remind me that this operation is important in this economic climate...and because I want to go to New York City in October. I'm curious as to what kind of un-damage I can do without blowing money on high-end, non-smoking bars.

Lessons Learned, my three things:
1) The Texas Baseball team has ice in their veins. After the longest baseball game EVER, they finish the job with a eight-run 9th inning rally over Army. The Horns are going to be formiable for the CWS.
2) I'm not sure the "new" city council is getting off the right foot with their proposals. Maybe they should run their own version of OPERATION: Homebody.
3) Moving sucks. Especially when it has to be delayed by two weeks.

The next couple of weeks are going to be interesting, since I will be in total violation of anything "homebody". I am off to boot camp. No, not that boot camp, Microsoft boot camp. But still, I will be away for a while. So, I need to survive this week and then write about it then survive the weeks ahead. Talk later.

No comments:

Post a Comment